The best link for the most dance info is Seattledance.org.
SFS sponsors the Emerald City Contra Dance – every Friday 7 – 10PM in the Community Hall of the Phinney Neighborhood Center. (The dance customarily takes a night off during the NW Folklife Festival at the end of May, and moves to a different location for the first Friday of December. Check their schedule for details!)
SFS also sponsors a 5th Saturday Contra Dance in Tacoma
The Seattle Family Dance will present special events at the NW Folklife Festival and in the community during the year – check their link for more info. The monthly dance is on hiatus, in search of new organizers, as of April 2018.
(A HUGE thanks to Amy and Clare who carried on the dance the past 8 years!)
Dear Seattle Family Dance Teacher-Musicians and Callers –
Thank you for all of your playing, calling, organizing of your students to play and dance at the Seattle Family Dance over the 8 years we’ve been running it.
We are sad to say so, but we think the Seattle Family Dance series has reached its logical stopping place. Attendance has been consistently low over the past few years, and after organizing and running it for so long ( and putting on 70+ separate dance events) we are ready to move on. We have looked for successors, but not found anyone interested in taking this on.
We plan to continue to work with Northwest Folklife to ensure that family dances will happen at both the main festival in May, at the Seattle Children’s festival and at other Northwest Folklife events.
We have really valued making the Seattle Family Dance a venue for aspiring young dance musicians to get experience playing for real dances. If you have ideas as to how to continue to make this happen in some form we’d be delighted to hear from you, or to share what we have learned about running the dance with someone who would like to take over that task.
Thank you for joining us in spreading the joy of dance!
Clare and Amy, Seattle Family Dance co-organizers
- Emerald City Contra Dance
- Lake City Contra Dance (Now at the Seattle Latvian Center, every Thursday)
- Contra Dancing
- Clog Dancing
- English Country Dance
- Square dancing
- Waltzing, mostly, and some other dances as well
- Cajun and zydeco dancing
- Sonny Newman’s Dance Hall (tango, waltz)
- Scandinavian dance
- Northwest Dance Network, swing and other partner dances
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
- Dance for Joy
- Irish Set Dancing
For email subscriptions about mostly waltz and ballroom dance events, send an email to Bejurin or call Monica or Bejurin at 206/367-1626.
To receive another dance email for many other dance events, including any classes, email Ron Bolin or call him at 425/917-1188 or toll free 1-888/423-8635.
If you want to be part of an ongoing discussion group about contra dancing, send an email to
- Events that missed the September Flyer (8/30/2022) - Emerald City Contra Dance The Emerald City Contra Dance is starting up again September 9, after a long hiatus due to COVID. Information about the bands arrived too late to be included in the September SFS Flyer. Friday, September 9: Greg Frock (Baltimore) w/ Ryan McKasson and Anita Anderson. Come join the fun when fiddler Ryan … Continue reading Events that missed the September Flyer
- Events that missed the July/August Flyer (6/30/2022) - We did not receive very many calendar listings for the summer (July/August) issue of the SFS Flyer! We will attempt to add additional events in occasional “late breaking news” posts here; check for updates. The next deadline is August 15, for the September issue; please send us your events. There seems to be a (hopefully, … Continue reading Events that missed the July/August Flyer
- Events that missed the April Flyer! (4/3/2022) - Please submit calendar items to the SFS Flyer no later than the 15th of the previous month. (The next deadline is April 15th, for the May issue) We would love to help you publicize your folk & traditional music, dance, and other arts events in the Seattle metropolitan area, or that are available online! Here … Continue reading Events that missed the April Flyer!