The best link for the most dance info is Seattledance.org.
SFS sponsors the Emerald City Contra Dance – every Friday 7 – 10PM in the Community Hall of the Phinney Neighborhood Center. (The dance customarily takes a night off during the NW Folklife Festival at the end of May, and moves to a different location for the first Friday of December. Check their schedule for details!)
SFS also sponsors a 5th Saturday Contra Dance in Tacoma
The Seattle Family Dance will present special events at the NW Folklife Festival and in the community during the year – check their link for more info. The monthly dance is on hiatus, in search of new organizers, as of April 2018.
(A HUGE thanks to Amy and Clare who carried on the dance the past 8 years!)
Dear Seattle Family Dance Teacher-Musicians and Callers –
Thank you for all of your playing, calling, organizing of your students to play and dance at the Seattle Family Dance over the 8 years we’ve been running it.
We are sad to say so, but we think the Seattle Family Dance series has reached its logical stopping place. Attendance has been consistently low over the past few years, and after organizing and running it for so long ( and putting on 70+ separate dance events) we are ready to move on. We have looked for successors, but not found anyone interested in taking this on.
We plan to continue to work with Northwest Folklife to ensure that family dances will happen at both the main festival in May, at the Seattle Children’s festival and at other Northwest Folklife events.
We have really valued making the Seattle Family Dance a venue for aspiring young dance musicians to get experience playing for real dances. If you have ideas as to how to continue to make this happen in some form we’d be delighted to hear from you, or to share what we have learned about running the dance with someone who would like to take over that task.
Thank you for joining us in spreading the joy of dance!
Clare and Amy, Seattle Family Dance co-organizers
- Emerald City Contra Dance
- Lake City Contra Dance (Now at the Seattle Latvian Center, every Thursday)
- Contra Dancing
- Clog Dancing
- English Country Dance
- Square dancing
- Waltzing, mostly, and some other dances as well
- Cajun and zydeco dancing
- Sonny Newman’s Dance Hall (tango, waltz)
- Scandinavian dance
- Northwest Dance Network, swing and other partner dances
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
- Dance for Joy
- Irish Set Dancing
For email subscriptions about mostly waltz and ballroom dance events, send an email to Bejurin or call Monica or Bejurin at 206/367-1626.
To receive another dance email for many other dance events, including any classes, email Ron Bolin or call him at 425/917-1188 or toll free 1-888/423-8635.
If you want to be part of an ongoing discussion group about contra dancing, send an email to
- Calendar Additions: Late-February through March (2/26/2019)- Please help us keep up with all the folk-related events in the Seattle area, by sending your listings for inclusion in our mothly newsletter. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15th of the previous month. Here are a few events that missed the dealine: Thursdy Feb. 28 – Aunt Mama’s Story Table celebrates Black History Month! … Continue reading Calendar Additions: Late-February through March
- List of Events Cancelled or Postponed due to snow & ice this weekend (2/8/2019)- The Feb 9th Concert with Genticorum is on as scheduled! We are looking forward to some hot French-Canadian tunes to warm the hall! Here is a note from the concert producer: Dear Genticorum ticket holders. The concert IS BEING HELD tonight. If you cannot come due to road conditions, and purchased advance tickets on-line, contact … Continue reading List of Events Cancelled or Postponed due to snow & ice this weekend
- Make Music Day is this Thursday, June 21st! (6/16/2018)- Come to the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood for all day activities! Here are a few highlights of Make Music PhinneyWood (see an updated schedule at www.phinneycenter.org/calendar/makemusicday/ after June 19th) Please help share pictures and experiences on social media #MakeMusicSeattle. Different Drummer, a multi-genre chamber ensemble comprised of violin, cello, double bass and percussion, invites listeners to an … Continue reading Make Music Day is this Thursday, June 21st!