November 30 – (Updated) Change of Location for the Emerald City Contra Dance!
(While the Phinney Center sets up for the Winter Festival, the dance moves to The Greenwood Masonic Lodge, 7910 Greenwood Ave N – not Om Culture as was previously advertised) The band is RiffRaff from Olympia: Lindon Toney, Jesse Partridge, & River Scheuerel on fiddles, guitar, mandolin, and harmonica. Caller TBA See http://seattledance.org/contra/emeraldcity for info.
December’s Dusty Strings Old-Time Jam has moved to Dec 15, 3:30-5:30pm. This way it won’t conflict with the Dusty Strings Open House on Dec 8, when the room musicians usually play in will be full of cider and cookies and other activity. The Old-Time Jam led by Molly Tanenbaum will return to jamming on the 2nd Saturday in the new year.
We will update this listing when with other “late breaking news”.
Come to the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood for all day activities! Here are a few highlights of Make Music PhinneyWood (see an updated schedule at www.phinneycenter.org/calendar/makemusicday/ after June 19th)
Please help share pictures and experiences on social media #MakeMusicSeattle.
- Different Drummer, a multi-genre chamber ensemble comprised of violin, cello, double bass and percussion, invites listeners to an open rehearsal in the Heart of Phinney Park 10am – 1pm
- The Greenwood Library features storytimes in the morning, instrument making and Junk Jam Band with Seattle ReCreative 3-5pm, an Instrument Petting Zoo with Music Center of the Northwest 4-5:30pm, and a Rounds Singing workshop for adults (all ages welcome) led by Sandy Buchner aka Zelda Starfire 6-7:15. Workshop participants have a chance to show off with a short performance at 7:20 in the Library Courtyard! https://www.spl.org/…/greenwood-br…/greenwood-branch-events…
- A-1 Piano will have a piano on the street for passersby to do impromptu concerts.
- Seattle Song Circle hosts an open sing (5-7pm) and the Ukestra performs and leads a “strum -a-long” (concert 7-7:45, hosted jam for singers and all instruments 7:45 – 8:30pm) on the lawn of the Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church, 7500 Greenwood Ave N.
- An open jam of northern dance tunes (French Canadian, Irish, New England & beyond) will be hosted by Brad, Valerie, & friends, and a participatory dance by Sarah Comer’s Open Old Time Dance Band and the Seattle Collaborative Contra Band will take place in the Greenwood Hardware parking lot. (Jam session 5-7:15/ Easy Dances for All! 7:30 – 9pm )
- Salmon Bay Community Lending hosts 2 participatory jams: Jazz from 6-7:30 & Tango 7:30 – 9. Bring your instrument; lead sheets provided! There is also an open kids musicmaking area.
- Betsy Alexander teaches a free “Fiddling from Scratch” workshop 6pm at Illuminations Learning Studio (7720 Greenwood Ave N ) for all ages of the fiddle curious. Loaner instruments are available for both children and adults for the workshop.
Watch for these performances (subject to change):
All-ages performances in the Screening Room of Naked City Brewery
(8564 Greenwood Ave N) Happy hour prices 3-5pm
The Temporaries 3:15-4:00
Little Sara and the Night Owls 4:15 – 5:00PM
Heart of Phinney Park (67th & Greenwood, east or west corners):
Steve Church -folk, blues, & jazzy originals 3:30 – 4:00pm
Do Peterson Band – classic soul & folk 5pm
Strawberry Rocket – original rock trio 6pm
Phinney Ridge Orchestra 8:00
Phinney Ridge Youth Orchestra 8:30
The Phinery (6500 Phinney Ave N)
Phinney School of Music 5-5:30 pm
Starbucks (outside) 5-6pm
Ken Elia – Solo classical guitar and arrangements of pop/rock/jazz
Phinney Books: Mathew Benham – Jazz Guitaist 6-8 pm
3 Wishes Clothing: TBA
Couth Buzzard (in front of the store):
Jim Page – Seattle’s great songwriter and activist shares stories and songs starting at 3pm and throughout the evening.
Stage Door Cafe:
Stewart Hendrickson – solo fiddle, mostly Scandinavian 4pm
Johnson & Johnson Antiques (6820 Greenwood Ave N):
Cedron and N’Shama Sterling – Music that Touches the Heart – 7-9pm
Beats & Bohos (7200 Greenwood Ave N):
Kelly Blanchard & Blue Star Creeper 7 – 8pm
Abby London 6pm
The Lost Boy presents the Kewl Kidz 8pm
Verity Courtyard (8533 Greenwood Ave N):
Abraham Neuwelt – percussion & handpan 3:30 – 5:30
SaeMonae – solo rap 7pm
Phoebe Kinks – indie alternative band 7:30 pm
Moon Candy – all-women country rock band 8pm
Jav DaHart – solo songwriter a mix of hip hop, pop, rock and poetry 8:30pm